Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Mama and Dada

Yesterday the long anticipated day arrived. I picked Ava up out of her crib that morning and laid her on the changing table and she looked at me and said, clear as a bell, "Dada." Granted, I'm her mom not her "Dada", but I've been trying to get her to say "Dada" pretty much since she was born. I got all excited and made a big deal of it. She waited until I calmed down a bit and then said "Dada" again to see if it had the same effect. It did, but then she decided to hold out on saying her special word until she wanted to use her powers to make mom act like an idiot again. We're still waiting for her to say it again, even though I tried to bribe her with getting to try some bananas today if she'd say it while Tony was home last night. Stubborn child.

I was a little sad because Tony had just left for work 5 minutes earlier and missed it. I called him right away and told him and he was of course thrilled and said, "Did you write it down on her calendar? Did you blog it? We can't forget when she first said 'Dada'" He's right of course, this is an important milestone, but truth be told, she's been saying "Mama" for over a week now . . .but we decided it might not be a real word yet because she's been prattling "mamamamama" for weeks. But she has very clearly said just plain "Mama" a handful of times over the last week. But the first day she said it was not logged and now that precious date is lost forever. Sigh. The sacrifices we mothers make . . .

I think we may be seeing some teeth coming through soon too. She's been eager to chew on anything and a little whiny the last few days. She's also been cuddlier, which I am enjoying. She actually let me rock her to sleep the other day for her nap. She hasn't let me do that since she was tiny. It is definitely a blessing that she knows how to fall asleep on her own, but when she's tired she wants to go to bed, she doesn't want to be held, and sometimes I miss the rocking her to sleep. But mostly not-rocking her for a 1/2 hour before bedtime and every nap would get old pretty fast.

Below is a whole slew of pictures from our Thanksgiving, (most notably, Ava with a turkey leg), Ava eating some avocado, my moms visit and a sneak peak of Ava in her Christmas dress. Enjoy.



All ready for breakfast





Patiently waiting for mom to mash up her avocado

Yum, avocado. . .

She actually did like it













Chocolate Cream Pie

Green beans for Thanksgiving dinner.

Ready to head out





"I've been waiting and waiting for something I could actually sink my gums into!"


Room for just one more bite . . .

Heading out for a post-thanksgiving dinner walk


Our friends Matt and Amy, who graciously invited us to spend Thanksgiving with their family.





pretty leaves


Scott and Tania

Boomer



Belly shot

"I love my new Christmas dress Grandma . . ."

" . . .it makes me feel mischievous!"



"And I love the hat and mittens mama made me!"



happy elf










3 comments:

Captain Rizzo's Log said...

What a great story. Get use to it kids never do what you want them to when you want them to do. Thanks for sharing her first dada moment with us.
love dad and beth

banderclip said...

Those pictures are adorable!! Ava gets cuter and cuter each day. :)

Oh, we chose a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28K. Whatever that means. haha It's got some nice features but we'll see how good the pictures turn out with this nut behind the camera.

Amy said...

I love it! "It makes me feel mischievious!" too funny. Apparently I can't spell mischievous. Wait, the computer liked the last spelling. Is that really how it is spelled? Sounds like: mischeevous and I thought it was mischeeveeous.